Cleansing Antiques or Used Items Before Bringing Into Your Home
Hunting for a good deal or rare find at vintage shops, antique shops, pawnshops, consignment shops, or even yard sales is addicting and helps our planet. However, it is imperative you ‘cleanse’ the item before bringing it into your home. I am not talking about taking a feathered duster and some pledge to it here; I am talking about cleansing the energy attached to your new find.
Often we are so caught up in the excitement of a great deal or a rare find, we seldom think about the energy that we are carrying home with it. Along with that item you purchased at the Estate sale, you might just be bringing home the energy of the deceased owner!
Unfortunate circumstances or grief that forced someone to trade an item at the pawnshop could transpose the same unexplainable feelings to the new wearer. A divorce that led to a yard sale of gifts received at the wedding, a foreclosed home, or repossessed vehicle can also carry the energetic memory associated with the loss of the items.
HOW TO CLEANSE FURNITURE or LARGE ITEMS
1. CLEAN: using an environmentally friendly and appropriate cleaner for your item, begin to clean your item and focus on the energy surrounding it. Is it black, grey, green, yellow? Whatever the color might be, visualize a white light swirling around your item as you clean, cleaning it physically and energetically
2. SAGE: starting at the base of the item, continuing upwards and around the entire item. If it has drawers, pull them out and allow the smoke to waft into every crack and crevice.
3. SALT: a most excellent choice that can be placed inside or around, depending on your item.
4. MOONLIGHT: I like to keep my item outside on my porch for one full night to cleanse under the luna energy. However, weather or location can interfere with this method.
Use one, a combination, or all of these methods above to cleanse your item. If possible, it’s best to do all four.
HOW TO CLEANSE JEWELRY
1. SALT: place item in a crystal or glass bowl/glass, place outside or on a windowsill, and allow the energy of the moon & sun to radiate through it for 7 days
2. WATER: place your jewelry under running water, preferably spring water. Often, I will go to the ocean or stream with my items placed in a mesh bag. Allowing the water to carry away any incorrect energy. *Depending on the metal in your jewelry, salt water might not be the best option
3. EARTH: place in a container and bury and allow the Earth to transform the energy during a waning moon phase.
- · Basil
- · Thyme
- · Lavender
- · Rosemary
Place into a mojo bag and keep inside the object or drink as a tea, it’s delicious!
- · Selenite
- · Black Tourmaline
- · Blue Kyanite
- · Smokey Quartz
Place on the item or around the item. I always keep a piece of Black Tourmaline in the North, Selenite in the East, Smokey Quartz in the South, and Blue Kyanite in the West of a room to keep the energy fresh.
I CLEANSED MY ITEM, BUT THE ENERGY STILL FEELS WEIRD
Sometimes there are items that cannot be cleansed. Whether it’s a necklace that causes anxiety each time you wear it, arguments that began between significant others or roommates since an item has been brought into the home, or a ring someone gave you that feels like it burns each time you put it on.
If you’ve tried to cleanse an item and it still feels weird, it should be returned to the Earth permanently. If you’re experiencing incorrect energy from an item, do not give it to someone else. Bury it. Burn it. Bind it.
By no means should purchasing second hand items be discouraged; it should be encouraged! Cleanse. Cleanse. Cleanse!
Kris @ Dark Moon Tarot
* Picture taken of some of my recent finds this weekend at an Estate sale. I have a passion for antiques. The quality of craftsmanship never ceases to amaze me, especially when everything we purchase today is disposable. However, as I watched the auctioneer disperse possessions that took someone a lifetime to collect, I couldn’t help but think of the series of events lead to the sale. ~Kris